Spring Care Tips for Rainbow Wooden Swing Sets
The weather is getting warmer and children are ready to spend more time playing outside on their Rainbow Play Systems swing set! Here are swing set care tips to ensure your play set is safe and sustains a longer life. A wooden swing set is just like any wooden outdoor furniture or decking structure – it needs to be cared for and maintained.
At the beginning of each season and twice each month do the following to maintain the safety and good condition of your swing set:
- Coat your play system with a sealant or preservative annually to sustain the life of your play set. Be sure the sealant you select is non-toxic and child safe.
- Clean tarps with soap & water and clean vinyl dipped parts.
- Reinstall swing seats, tarps, flags, and other plastic components which may have been removed for the winter.
- Check and tighten all nuts and bolts as needed, but do not over tighten causing the wood to crack.
- Check all wood members for deterioration and splinters. Spot sand any areas that are checking or splintering.
- Check all coverings on bolts, sharp edges and corners.
- Hardware used on swinging elements should be checked at least twice a month to ensure proper fastening.
- Check all moving parts including swing seats, ropes, and chains for wear, rust, or other deterioration and replace as needed.
- Check swing hangers, tire swivel, S-Hooks, eyebolts, and spring clips for wear and replace or tighten as needed.
- Check all metal parts for rust. If needed, sand and repaint using a nonlead-based paint.
- Lubricate all metallic moving parts and grease Tire Swivel monthly during the usage period.
- Check entire Structure and Swing Beam to ensure they are level, if not adjust Structure and/or Swing Beam back to level.
- Rake and check depth of loose fill protective surfacing materials to prevent compaction and to maintain appropriate depth.
- Remember to replace any deteriorating parts.
If you follow these care tips, your wooden swing set will be safer and have a longer healthier life!